(click on the layout to see a larger version in a new window)
A few weeks ago I was having a conversation about that Louis CK appearance on Conan O'Brien when he gave his "Everything is amazing and nobody's happy" spiel.
Everytime I watch this clip I giggle, and then I try to be much more mindful of stuff that is awesome.
And everytime I get all hung up on things that I think I need to acquire that will somehow make my life that much better, I try to remember that aside from food, love and oxygen, there are so many simpler things in life that aren't big and loud that are really the most amazing things of all.
I made the page above to remind myself of stuff that's awesome that might not seem obvious at first glance, but if I just take a few minutes and really think of how amazing life today is, it's like one big giant, "Duh!"
I've designed a new template to help you capture your list, but you can also simply open a Word doc and just start typing. I think you'll find it's funny how quickly the list comes together when you stop, drop and consider how amazing even the simplest (and some of the most complex) things in life can be.
Here's a peek at mine:
1. Fresh, sweet and tart blueberries.
2. The Barenaked Ladies’ “Gordon” album.
3. Aidan, Cole and Dan.
4. All of the products made by Apple.
5. The fact that I can run 5 miles without stopping.
6. Ice cold water.
7. Refrigeration in general.
8. Pan fried tofu and red cabbage wraps.
9. Living in my own house.
10. Being healthy.
11. Seeing both of my kids on stage in their amazing production of “The Wiz.”
12. Aidan‘s grades.
13. Cordless phones and hands-free headsets.
14. Central air conditioning on the muggiest of Minnesota summer days.
15. Falling into a bed freshly made with clean sheets.
16. Putting your jeans on and realizing that, “Hey! These aren’t as tight as they used to be!”
17. Losing a pound when you weren’t expecting it.
18. When someone waves you ahead in traffic and smiles as they’re doing it.
19. Piping hot french fries of any variety.
20. Dancing to an 80s cover band.
21. Looking in the mirror and feeling pretty cute and realizing the pointlessness of beating yourself up over all the things you think you should be but are not.
22. Giant flat screen HD televisions.
23. Heading out for a planned 3-mile run, but going 5 or 6 just because you we’re feeling so good.
24. Waking up to find that someone has already unloaded last night’s dishes from the dishwasher.
25. Trader Joe’s Garlic Hummus with Joesph’s Whole Wheat and Flax Seed pita bread. Yum.
26. My daily afternoon cup of piping hot Oregon Chai.
27. Owning a car that hardly every breaks down.
28. My Herman Miller Aeron office chair (because it’s beautiful and it saved my wrists.)
29. Having short hair that’s easy to work with.
30. The invention of glasses so people can see.
31. Spring after a particularly long, snowy, cold and occasionally brutal winter.
33. The feeling you get when the house is clean, the laundry is folded and put away, and you have zero chores left on your to-do list.
34. Blue raspberry ICEEs from SA. Even though they are so far removed form any naturally occurring flavor.
35. When your knees don’t hurt.
36. Music of pretty much every kind.
37. Our remodel.
38. When people greet you with a kiss on the cheek.
39. Really comfortable shoes.
40.The morning’s first cup of coffee.
42. 62-degree days.
43. Video chatting with people who live halfway across the country.
44. Making a living doing something that you genuinely love.
45. Realizing that even though you’re getting older, you can always learn, grown and change.
46. Being an ex-smoker.
47. The fact that you can get into a pool and swim back and forth without stopping for 45 minutes.
48. Gaining that extra hour each Fall when the clocks get set back.
49. Documentation of life.
50. Just being alive period.
What would you put on your List of Awesome?